Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Personal Failures

Today started well, but I had a major failure. Had dinner at Superstar's Pizza, and had to deal with a paper plate, a plastic wrapped plastic fork, knife, and napkin with a paper wrapped packet of salt and another of pepper. I had it all set aside to take with me, when one of the employees swiped everything off my table. I told him not to take it but he assured me it wasn't a problem .

I felt myself shrink as he swiped it away, and I struggled to begin to explain what and why I was doing it, by the time I was ready, it was trashed, so I slumped back down in my seat.

So, I have sent the above items to knock around in a landfill for a few hundred years. Let's hope I can do better.

Despite a few rocky starts, I think I am adapting. I am certainly noticing how pervasive our trash is, but I am also observing how complacent our society is to it. It is a system, that operates out of sight and out of mind, and only when you consciously analyze every scrap of rubbish you produce do you really become aware of it. That or taking a stroll through a land fill.

No comments: